Alphabet Inc.’s (NASDAQ:GOOGL)(NASDAQ:GOOG) Waymo has won California approval to dramatically expand its driverless ride-hailing footprint, clearing the company to scale across the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles while adding Sacramento and San Diego as new markets.

California Clears Waymo’s Wider Robotaxi Expansion

"Big news for the Golden State — we have received the CPUC’s approval to expand our autonomous ride-hailing service across the SF Bay Area and LA, and bring our service to Sacramento and San Diego," Waymo said in an X post late on Friday. The company said expansion would be "gradual and guided by our safety framework."

The California Public Utilities Commission approved Waymo’s updated Passenger Safety Plan on Aug. 14, allowing driverless deployment across additional portions of Northern and Southern California. The authorization builds on an expanded operating domain the California DMV approved in November.

The application drew 29 supportive responses, including from disability advocates and business groups, but San Diego’s Metropolitan Transit System and its Taxicab Advisory Committee objected over transit disruption, local control and potential harm to taxi operators. CPUC staff ruled those policy objections did not constitute valid grounds to block the application.

Waymo began laying groundwork in Sacramento in February and previously announced San Diego as a 2026 market. Reuters reported last year that Las Vegas and Detroit were also joining its expansion pipeline.

Benzinga reached out to Waymo for additional information on the announcement but did not receive an immediate response.

Waymo Widens Scaling Lead In Robotaxi Race

The approval further strengthens Waymo’s lead as Tesla Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) tries to scale its competing Robotaxi service. Waymo now provides more than 500,000 fully autonomous electric trips weekly, and has accumulated more than 220 million autonomous rider-only miles.

Safety Scrutiny Follows Rapid Service Growth

Growth has brought safety scrutiny. NHTSA said Waymo recalled 3,871 fifth-generation automated-driving systems in June after vehicles entered closed freeway construction zones. Federal records document six Phoenix incidents in April and seven in the Bay Area in May before Waymo restricted freeway operations and deployed software improvements.

The issue followed other recalls, while NHTSA has separately warned autonomous-vehicle developers about interference with emergency responders.

Waymo counters with safety data showing 94% fewer serious or fatal injury crashes than comparable human driving across more than 220 million autonomous miles.

Waymo has not announced exact launch dates for Sacramento or the broader California expansion.

Photo courtesy: Around the World Photos / Shutterstock.com